Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
Maui Outreach and Education Coordinator
non-profit organization telecommuting okay
The Monk Seal Foundation is a Hawaii-based nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of the critically endangered Hawaiian monk seal. The Foundation focuses on conservation programs for the species, such as seal response, classroom education, outreach efforts and fundraising. The Foundation collaborates with local communities, volunteers, government agencies, nonprofits, and other stakeholders in the monk seal conservation community.
Position Description: The Maui Outreach and Education Coordinator will be responsible for creating, implementing and managing outreach and education programs on the Island of Maui. This is a new position and will require a motivated and ambitious individual to be successful at developing and growing these programs.
• Manage and promote our classroom education program on the Island of Maui, which primarily consists of the Coordinator or a trained volunteer hosting 45 minute presentations about Hawaiian monk seals for all interested classrooms grades K-12 across the island,
• Regularly coordinate an education and outreach booth at the Maui Ocean Center to increase awareness about Hawaiian monk seals conservation needs,
• Manage an education and outreach booth at local festivals and events to promote the Foundation and build relationships with community members,
• Establish a volunteer network on Maui by recruiting new volunteers, training them as needed, fostering relationships and administering the logistics of the network,
• Create and develop training materials for volunteers to increase their knowledge and skill set with the ultimate goal of ensuring that they are effective communicators about Hawaiian monk seals,
• Create metrics to evaluate the success of the Foundation's outreach and education programs.
• Reside in Maui,
• 2+ years of experience in one of the following areas: outreach, education, communications, nonprofit and/or environmental field,
• Strong Communications skills (both oral and written),
• Passion for wildlife/environmental causes.
• Valid Hawaii Driver's License, Proof of auto insurance coverage, and access to a daily vehicle
• Personal cell phone with local number
Hours: The position will begin as part time with the opportunity to expand as our Maui operations grow.
Interested applicants can submit a letter of interest, salary requirements, and resume (all three must be included to be considered) by September 22, 2014 to: Monk Seal Foundation P.O. Box 10042, Lahaina, HI 96761
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
- OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities